Dr. Scott Gottlieb, the Commissioner of the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) made the following announcements that created some excitement among the community
- Delay of PMTA deadline — In a major change in policy, manufacturers of non-combustible products like vapor products now have until August 8, 2022 to submit their premarket tobacco applications (PMTA).
- Product standards — FDA plans to issue product standards for vapor products “to protect against known public health risks.”
- Process clarity — FDA will issue new “foundational rules” to modify the product review process.
- Flavors — FDA will study the effects of flavors, both on young people and adult smokers looking for a less harmful alternative.
- Reduced-nicotine cigarettes — FDA will begin a public dialogue on the impact of reducing nicotine in cigarettes to non-addictive levels.
Gregory Conley, President of the American Vaping Association, commented:
“To say the least, we are relieved by Dr. Gottlieb’s announcement. Without Dr. Gottlieb’s leadership, over 99% of vapor products on the market today would have been banned in fifteen months’ time.
“This is by no means a perfect fix. The FDA’s deeming rule still bans any innovation in the market and, without major changes to the agency’s premarket review process, could still result in the vast majority of the market being banned in 2022. If Dr. Gottlieb truly wants to reduce death and disease in the long-term, today’s announcement must be the first step of many in reforming the FDA regulatory process.
“While we are concerned that the FDA may be going down the wrong path with its focus on flavors and reduced-nicotine cigarettes, we are going to celebrate today and get back to fighting bad policy tomorrow.”
Article came from The American Vape Association
Overall this great info for the community since it extends the the time when vape vendors have to submit the PMTA which is a pre-market tobacco application.
All the extensions were originally to take effect in 2018 has been extended to 2022. This buys some time for advocacy groups to negotiate a positive solution for the Vape Vendors since the new rules are expected to severely damage the vape industry.
If you wish to support the vape industry and their fight you can visit Consumer Advocates For A Smoke Free Alternative Association , Smoke Free Alternatives Trades Associates , or American Vaping Association